Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, July 8, 2013
I finished 13 Super Star blocks (I already had 7 done) for the sew-a-long with Wedding Dress Blue.  


No design wall here, I used my picnic table (the breeze was flipping them up and I'm standing on a cooler)  I'm trying to decide whether to leave the top at 20 blocks, or make 5 more.  And I'm not sure I like white borders, maybe a colored border on it--a GREEN one?   I love the stars--they finish at 16".  Although smaller pieces have their own charm, sometimes I like to see the pattern in the fabrics.  Especially since this is a scrappy quilt--and there are a lot of different fabrics!   Mary Kay--there are some of your fish in there, and Jackie--I know I saw a Christmas print from your box.  Vic--there is a bit of a civil war repro from you in there too.  That's what makes a scrappy quilt special--the memories.    See everyone's design wall at Patchwork Times.

Weekly Goals--
  1. Finish a yoyo block
  2. bind one quilt
  3. More Rainbow Scrappy blocks
That will keep me busy for this week.  Those are all the projects I have with me at the camper!  I will pull out a UFO or two to work on the next time I am at home.  

The weather has turned warmer.  I have a few days off from volunteering and Ken and Ruby came to visit.  Life is good.



11 comments:

Needles, Fabric, Chisels, and Wood…Life is GOOD! said...

Are you going to sew the blocks directly together or add sashing? I really like this look even better than the original version. You are right about the scrappy quilts being full of memories.

Sara said...

Those scrappy star blocks are really great. It's always amazing how good the different fabrics look all together.

It sure sounds like you have a really enjoyable summer job. You get to enjoy the outdoors and visit with people on vacation. And go back to the camper at the end of the day with a little sewing to keep you busy.

Cathy said...

Look at you, sewing and camping in the great outdoors! I'm green with envy, at the moment. I love your scrappy stars. What about a border with a white background with a bright multi-coloured print, like dots or something. That would continue out the white backgrounds, but give added colour. Our brand new camper is in for repairs, already. It developed an unfortunate tendency to leak, a lot, when it rain.

Nancy said...

Yes, a colored border would make these stars "pop."

Seeing your stars has given me an idea for some scraps that I have.

Jill said...

Actually, I like how your blocks look on the blue and white polkadot tablecloth. The stars pop more than the blocks that aren't on the tablecloth. Maybe a consideration would be a polkadot fabric sashing?

straythreads said...

like your stars and I too thought the table cloth was a border possibility ha but its a good one.

Mary-Kay said...

I love your design wall! I was looking at that quilt and thinking maybe I should make one, I do have a ton of scraps. And then my name pops out and of course, I have to look a little more closely at the fabric. It's a really nice quilt, and I do love the scrappiness of it, especially my scraps.

Paula, the quilter said...

Those are so nice and cheery! I usually do hand work while camping because, for the most part, we camp in areas with no power.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Love your scrappy stars. You need a bigger picnic table to use it as a "design table". :)

Anonymous said...

I really love the large pieces and the stars have such lovely fabrics. I like how it has the traditional feel but could be a more modern quilt too. Love it, I think that a border is an option but I like it without one too!

Anonymous said...

Still on my to-do list!