Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, May 21, 2012
The Brown Urban Cabin is ready to quilt.    I think Henrietta will help me load it later.  We are having a few pains (her back and my toe) so taking Tylenol first is a must!   


Henrietta and I made 3 of these quilts.   We were only going to make two--each using a different choice in colors--but I  missed the step on making 10 blocks reversed.  I had already made all my blocks (this is where Henrietta and I differ in construction--I make all my blocks first and she pieces each block individually) and instead of ripping and resewing--I just made MORE blocks and had two tops.  Maybe reading the pattern several times might have caught this mistake--I think the pattern needs a huge RED STAR at that step.  The pattern is easy to make and I think they will make great Quilts of Valor.  Henrietta and I have been taking turns picking a pattern and then we each make one to compare color choices and construction methods.   Its a good learning experience for me.   

Check out Judy's blog to see whatever else is doing!

Weekly goals--

  1. Load the Brown Urban Cabin
  2. Finish sewing rows on the TATW quilt
  3. Rainbow Scrap Challenge yellow block

That's enough--I volunteer a lot this weekend and next week.  The weather has been beautiful here--the kind of weather where you want to recline in a lawn chair and read.  


7 comments:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Hey....I read the directions as a last resort. All patterns should have really good pictures of each step. That's my take, anyway.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

you crack me up! making all the blocks the same way and then having to make two quilts....now that IS something I would do! lol ps...have DONE!

Vicki H. said...

I love it and this looks great. I am terrible at following patterns, I will have to say that I work more like Henrietta. I have a box of orphaned and boo boo blocks that will someday go into a sampler quilt.

Sara said...

Love, love this quilt. I have the pattern and fabric in my UFO pile. But since I haven't started it yet, maybe it isn't really a UFO?

I have to admit I read patterns pretty carefully and STILL make mistakes! My husband says I'm the only person he knows who has actually read the owners manual for every appliance I've bought. Guilty as charged!

MightyMom said...

well, I think I like it....sorta. very different.

looks like it'd be fun to make though.

What's Henrietta's look like? is it brown too?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Well I like it!! It gives it movement LOL - Can't wait to see it quilted!!

Stephanie D said...

Well, it turns out beautifully! And QOV will love them, too.