Motivation Friday and Auction Treasures

Saturday, May 12, 2012
I was busy all week and no sewing done yet.  My flowers are almost all planted (a few pots left) and I volunteered all week.  

But last night Ken, Henrietta and I went to an auction.  Evelyn and Tom were best friends to Ken's parents.  Tom passed years ago and Evelyn this winter.  Ken was looking for a memento and Henrietta and I always enjoy an auction.  It was cold, rainy, and windy.  We dressed warm and I took my umbrella.

First Ken and I picked out which "memento" he would bid on.  Here's what he bought---


3 enamelware pans.  I love the yellow ones--they are harder to find.  I think they cost $15.00.  But, I had my eye on another item and I was NOT going to be outbid.   Meet "Evelyn"--


A Singer 301!!  Evelyn sewed on this 301 many years.  Taught her daughter how to sew on it.  When I found her in the garage (out of the rain) I had my heart set on her.  I kept a close eye on her--a set screw was loose and I didn't want anyone to accidentally damage her or the cabinet.  She has all her attachments, all the buttonhole keys etc.  She's in one of those offset cabinets--no left front leg so she's very comfortable to sit at.  A knee control--I like a knee control.   Best of all was the price.  Five Dollars!

I have lots of sewing machines but didn't have a 301.  She sounds great and sews a fine stitch.   I've oiled her and wiped her down, given her a new needle.  Ahhhh!  I've moved Becca the 201 out for a rest and plan to sew this weekend with Evelyn.

The weather is as beautiful today as it was miserable last evening.   The windows are open and I'm watering my flowers.  Tomorrow is Mother's Day--Ken asked me where I was taking him to eat--after all--doesn't Mother's Day mean I'm suppose to treat him?  I voted not to go out tomorrow, we can grill.   I picked more rhubarb today and will make rhubarb dessert.  

I wish everyone a wonderful Mother's Day!  


6 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a great treasure!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Seems like everyone's buying up those old machines and some have quite a collection. My house just doesn't have room. Have fun sewing on "Evelyn." Hmmmm, that was my mother-in-law's name too.

Nancy said...

You got four wonderful bargains at the auction. Enjoy!

JuJu said...

Hey Girl, my Maude is just like your Evelyn!! No cabinet, but all the attchments. Purchased from our mutual friend Jay ... I paid a bit more!! But Maude is worth every penny. She is my travel machine ....

JuJu said...

Hey Girl, my Maude is just like your Evelyn!! No cabinet, but all the attchments. Purchased from our mutual friend Jay ... I paid a bit more!! But Maude is worth every penny. She is my travel machine ....

Becky said...

Welcome, Evelyn! I'd love to have a 301! Great job!