Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, May 13, 2013
I saw these blocks on Wedding Dress Blue blog.  They were easy and fun and I made them using 5" charms from my charm box.  I found a large piece of white background in my basement so maybe it was meant to happen.  


These finish to 16"--a generous size block, simple but striking.  I will make several at a time and swap out each quarter section to have more random color placement.  Please see everyone's Design Walls at Patchwork Times.

Weekly Goals--
  1. Finish binding a quilt
  2. More 16" stars
  3. Sew scrappy trips rows together
Its going to be a busy week.   Ken is doing the farmer thing, we've had a few drips of rain, not any real rain but enough to keep the top of the ground sticky.  This weekend is Asher's baptism.  And--our neighbor's house burned down Tuesday night and she died.  She lived on the corner, next was her daughter with her two small children, and then our house.   She was only 64yo, had taken early retirement from teaching.   Its a "bad things happen to good people" moment.  My heart aches for her daughter and grandchildren.

More volunteering this week, I do love volunteering!  School groups on field trips--sometimes a bit loud but so much fun!  Toni and Eddie are back, and we have new neighbors--I'll have to get pictures and introduce them.  

I need to plan some flowers and the garden, not much but if Mason is here later this week maybe we can plant something.  After last year's drought there are patches of dead grass that maybe should be reseeded.  Maybe some flowers.  

What plans do you have this week?  

5 comments:

Sara said...

Small world - we have granddaughter Sophia's baptism in Sioux Falls this weekend.

I remember your neighbor from some workshops I did at the school in past years. That fire was a tragedy for sure.

Mary-Kay said...

So sorry to hear about your neighbour. So close to home too. I love your blocks. They are so scrappy and just beautiful. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

pcflamingo said...

Swapping out quarter sections - brilliant! I've got 6 blocks done but I will do that from now on for more variety too. I used 3 different "designer" lines plus a bunch of batiks but sometimes I don't like my arrangements after I get them together. You would think with 80 different fabrics there would be enough variety....

Nancy said...

Your neighbor's death is hard to comprehend. Do the authorities know what caused the blaze? Hopefully, her family and the neighborhood friends will lean on each other at this difficult time.

I love your large star blocks. I must remember to make some of them for a Quilt of Valor.

Blessings to Asher on his Baptismal day.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about the fire. The blocks look great! I'm planning on making that one next month, along with Sunny Side Up. My only plan for the rest of the month is to visit with my long time friend and college roommate who is coming for almost two weeks.