Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, January 13, 2014
I have these blocks put together--


An Irish chain using more 30's plus a bit of yellow.  Please see everyone's design walls at Patchwork Times.  Last week I had some finishes and Nick (favorite son in law) helped me take pictures--


Yellow tilted rails.  This quilt had languished in the closet for almost 10 years waiting for borders.  Used 16 yards.


P

Patchwork Among Friends, its a personal favorite.  I estimate it used 20 yards.  It was a challenge among Liz and Marilyn from Texas and myself.  We were to use the pattern Four-Patch Plaid from the book Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth.  We could change the pattern as desired.  I used the pattern as written--king size.   

Liz used MAM blocks for her border.  She selected dark scraps to frame the top.


Marilyn used her 30's stash and made a piano key border.  It was a great challenge, use our stash to make the top.  Next we're going to make Mt Hood from the same book.  I doubt I would have finished this quilt this quickly but I didn't want to be the only one who didn't!  I love my quilt and its going on my bed.  Thank you Liz and Marilyn for the encouragement!

Last weeks goals were just that--goals!  I did finish binding my quilts and worked on Mt Hood and Trail Mix but I didn't load another top or work on a Rainbow Scrappy block.  Instead I played with grandchildren.

Weekly Goals--
  1. Load a top
  2. Rainbow Scrappy block
  3. Finish Mt Hood bits
  4. Cut Summer at the Lake setting blocks
  5. Think about how to finish Yellow Irish Chain--do you have suggestions??
  6. Trail Mix blocks
Last week my organizing was folding all the 30's fabric back into a box.  A smaller box but still plenty left.  They will go under the quilting table to age.  



In the Sunday paper was this comic strip--



This is for my daughter!!  Love you--Mom




20 comments:

Kathie said...

What lovely quilts!! I like them all, think the king sized one was my favorite.

Playing with the grandkids is much more important than your other goals, after all they will be grown before you know it.

Cheryl said...

I love all of the quilts you showed today. The colors and designs you used go really well together.

kwiltnkats said...

You have some wonderful quilts. Each and every one. Love Pat Speth designs and yours is really nice. I can see why he's your favorite Son-in-Law. Have a wonderful week. Sandi

PeggyinNO said...

Love all your quilts especially Patchwork Among Friends. Wonderful quilt!

Unknown said...

Love your Irish Chain quilt as well as all of the others.

Sara said...

Playing with grandkids was much more important and probably more fun too. Your quilt pictures outside really show off the beauty of them.

I missed that Sunday cartoon - love it.

Nancy said...

Fantastic finishes! WaHoo!!!

Sometimes fabric, quilts, and knitting need to marinate, right?

Teri said...

Great quilts. I have oodles of 2 1/2" squares. I may have to consider making that pattern.

Lindsey said...

Lori, that little comic made me smile! Your top Irish Chain quilt is going to turn out so pretty! All of the quilts, are really quite lovely! Thanks for sharing!

-Lindsey {Inspiring Creations}

Gari in AL said...

What really nice finishes. I am not a 30s fan but what I do have keeps multiplying even though I have not bought any more. :-O

compusword said...

Lori, love that you put all of our quilts together!
Loved using up scraps for the border, for the dark blocks and for the light blocks. So, tell me: why didn't the scrap bin reduce???? Hugs, Liz

Ramona said...

I hope you don't mind, but I copied the comic strip and emailed it to my daughter. Too funny! Your quilts are all beautiful.... especially the Irish Chain.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Lovely quilts! Suggestion for your Irish Chain border: Since there's a bit of red in the top, how about a narrow inner border of red, broken by squares of white at the points where they'll finish the white diamonds. Then maybe a wider piano keys border, or possibly the same yellow as in the chains. You'll want to audition it - too much yellow can be overwhelming! Whatever you choose, it'll be pretty!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Beautiful quilts. Hoping your industriousness rubs off on me. Nick wouldn't be holding quilts on the deck railing here tonight. The wind would send him sailing. It's just roaring out there.

Bonnie said...

Nice quilts and nice sil to hold them for you! He's got quite the arm span! I really like your Patchwork Among Friends quilt. (was that the right name?) Yours in particular seems to draw me in. Sorry about the goals but at least you got some organizing done. I should probably put one organizing goal on my goals list every week.

straythreads said...

great quilts you got a lot done!!! love the yellow going through the Irish chain.
stay warm

Elaine Adair said...

Whoa - that "Patchwork Among Friends" is a stunner!! They all are, but that is a current favorite.

Elaine Adair said...

Whoa - that "Patchwork Among Friends" is a stunner!! They all are, but that is a current favorite.

Elaine Adair said...

Whoa - that "Patchwork Among Friends" is a stunner!! They all are, but that is a current favorite.

Pokey said...

I have had this window open for a week, I wanted to tell you how much I love that yellow chain running through this quilt top! Your work makes me smile ~
:-}pokey