Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, June 1, 2015
The Mojo brothers are working overtime.  They have been paging through a recent used book purchase and love it.  
 


Martingale - All-Time Favorite Scrap Quilts from That Patchwork Place (Print ver

First choice was "All in a Row" by Kim Diehl.



A box of 2.5" squares will become centers for these blocks.  I resized the pattern to use 2.5" and that means the blocks will finish at 14".  A nice size. 
 

I'm not sure where I'm going with these blocks.  The top three can be r/w/b and the bottom three scrappy.  I love Monkey Wrench and 9 patches so they are easy to love!  Maybe they will become like the Album blocks, just fun and relaxing to make.  Some quilters agonize when trying to make a scrap quilt.  How do you pick the fabrics?  Will they play nicely together?  They are unable to do "random".   This color does not go with that color!   I do not have that problem.  How did I pick the fabrics I used in these blocks?  They either were laying on the cutting table or close to my sewing machine.  The 9 patches were pulled from my 2.5" squares box.  I periodically put fabrics back on my shelves otherwise lazy me would use the same fabrics over and over!  Please see everyone's design wall posts at Patchwork Times.

Weekly Goals--

Liz's Squared
Star Struck
Play with precut 2.5" squares

This week McCalls Quilting magazine arrived and I was immediately drawn to this quilt.  Sunny Squares by Kate Colleran.  When I play with my 2.5" squares I can make the 16 patches needed for this quilt.  A Win-Win!  Mojos love it too. 




Mojos are getting plenty of exercise.  That is four new starts for the summer!  Volunteering starts this week so there will be minimal sewing time, at least for a few days.  Flowers to plant and camper to organize.  If it rains I can sew and read.  Life is good!!

~Lori~

11 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

As always, you have some great plans Lori. The thing is .... you have all these parts and pieces pre cut and ready to put into a design. My scrap bins are nothing like that. LOL

Ramona said...

I really like your Monkey Wrench blocks with the nine patches in the centers. My scrap basket is overflowing! Time to cut and play!!

Vic in NH said...

The blocks look great! And I'm so guilty of just grabbing whatever is beside the machine or in the stacks piled onto every edge of the cutting table, too. You showed amazing restraint in your buying for the workshop, Good Girl! Happy camping!

Tired Teacher said...

I was drawn to the Sunny Squares quilt, too. ;o)

Love the blocks you've made. I agree that 14" is a good size for a block.

Have fun with Mojo!

Sara said...

My mojo has been pretty high all winter and spring. But knowing that I won't be home much in June has given my mojo an excuse to only want to do little stuff (like individual blocks) and not tackle any UFOs that need attention. Oh well . . .

sunny said...

Great Monkey Wrenches! I've seen a couple of Kim Diehl patterns recently that I simply must get.

straythreads said...

Love the monkey wrench and your choice of fabrics

Norece said...

I also like the all in a row quilt. I'm going to try to find the book. Thanks for sharing

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Another "on the list" pattern. You're off to a good start.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Had to stop in and say hi neighbor. Great looking blocks. from ND.

Bonnie said...

Nice eye candy. I really like the monkey wrench block. Hum, I have a ton of 2.5" squares or maybe I should make a dent in my 2" square collection. Great ideas here. Thanks