Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, April 25, 2016
It was a busy weekend!  Here is some of what I worked on--

Jared Takes a Wife
Jared Takes a Wife blocks done using pinks, oranges, browns, and neutrals.  Please see everyone's design wall posts at Patchwork Times.

Lorri2Rs and I were at a retreat featuring Bonnie Hunter!  We had SO MUCH FUN!  Two days for me, Saturday making Jared Takes a Wife and Sunday making My Blue Heaven.  I learned how to use the Easy Angle and Companion Angle for My Blue Heaven.  Learning "new" methods/tools is not something I enjoy, but this is a time and fabric saving method.  My Blue Heaven is to use up some of my blues.  I shared blues with 2Rs and Sandy.  They shared back, the dent in my stash is very very very small.  Rats!  

Bonnie shares many "pearls" (quilting tips) during her classes.  One that stuck in my mind is "cut ON the line" which means when you measure to cut--that cutting line is ON the fabric, not beside it.   Its a tiny smidge that over many small pieces adds up!  Bonnie is lots of fun--a very dedicated teacher--I can't imagine how tired she must be at the end of four days of classes.  

Bonnie had several items to sell, I bought this--

A "chair" for my phone.  My phone goes missing a LOT and maybe this will help.  A few pictures from the classes--

 A serious chain piecer!


 Our classroom was big--50 quilters.

Bonnie did a demo on how to decide on those "iffy" fabrics--are they a light or a dark?  Sometimes it depends on where you are going to use them--if you held them next to the dark red w/neutral block--they are a light.  In another quilt they might be a dark.  And if you think they "muddy" the contrast--don't use them!  Or perhaps turn them over and use the "wrong" side.  There are no wrong sides--you paid for it--its YOUR fabric!  We also learned how to "web" your blocks/quilt, and "leaders and enders". 

Saturday evening was a trunk show/lecture.  Bonnie explained how her Scrap Users System works using this visual aid--

Scraps are cut into 1.5", 2", 2.5", and 3.5" strips.  You can make ALL the blocks on this quilt using those dimensions.  It was definitely the "method behind the madness" moment.  The free patterns on her website are made using these pieces.

Will I make leaders/enders a part of my process?  Probably not, I get distracted by them.  Will I web my top/blocks?  Sometimes.  But learning the "whys" and "how to's" will keep me from being too close-minded!

Class participants came from all over--meet Paula, who was from Rochester MN and so much fun--


Paula, can you come sew with 2Rs and I?  You fit right in!


 This is Sandy.  Sandy--I'm glad I know you!!


This is where 2Rs and I sewed.  Its a rare picture--Lorri is sitting at her machine (reading emails on her phone)!!  She is a social butterfly--flits around the room talking to everyone.  That is her favorite part of retreats.  Notice the dish of chocolates on our table, quilters can't sew without chocolates!

And the requisite "Bonnie & Me" picture--



Thank you Bonnie for a wonderful weekend.  Your website is a "go-to" treasure trove of patterns, how-to's, and useful information.  Please check out Quiltville.com.  Another big thank you to the Siouxland Samplers Guild of Sioux City IA for hosting this retreat.  

Weekly Goals--

Cozy Cabin blocks sewn to a flimsey
Album Blocks sewn to a flimsey 
Orange Jacob's Ladder blocks
Sew one more row on Bricks and Stepping Stones flimsey

Its going to be a busy week, warm enough to work outside.  Stash needs to be put away, piles of fabric are everywhere.  

~LORI~


 

6 comments:

SherryB said...

It was nice to meet you, Lori 1R! I finally put a face to the name. I thought I might look around for an older machine, after seeing what you & Lorri brought to the retreat but I have no idea what to look for. It is such a pain to lift my own sewing machine out of its snuggly recessed table at home, plus it's very heavy to lug around. Looks like you got more blocks done than I did--guess I talked too much! Can't wait to see your finished projects.
Sherry in IA

sunny said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Bonnie Hunter is doing a trunk show and workshop for our Guild next year. Really looking forward to meeting her, and seeing yer in action.

Sara said...

I can only imagine how much fun you had at this retreat. I am envious!

Love those "Jared" blocks and the blue ones. I've used Bonnie's scrap cutting method for years, except I don't cut 2". But I do cut 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 5, and bricks (3.5 x 6.5). And I keep strips too. My scrap bin is so full it has overflown into another one. I need to get to cutting again.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

You lucky girl...you were there! I asked DH's cousin if she was there...only for the trunk show Sat. night and she said too it was great. Now you should be all inspired to sew, sew, sew.

Tired Teacher said...

Fantastic photos of your class, especially the one of you and Bonnie.

Granny Kay said...

Great photo of you and Bonnie. You must have had a great time at both workshops.