Rainbow Scrappy Saturday

Saturday, December 17, 2016
This week borders were found for a top made with album blocks from 2014 & 2015 RSC--


Not the best picture but its crowded in the sewing studio! (The quilt is hung sideways).   Remember when I bought a "brown" box and a "green" box last winter?  The perfect brown border fabric was in it--


A simple border treatment but I think it really goes with the deep teal background.  The R/W/B Album blocks top had been waiting for borders since last April.  Lots of fabric was auditioned. 


First a light blue border made from leftover dyed backing.  The red TOT fabric is directional--so it was used as side borders (the quilt is sideways in the picture).  The striped fabric has writing on it and needed to be a horizontal border.  I had to piece it and think I did a pretty good job--



My thumb marks the seams.  Both these quilts are ready to be quilted.  Please see what everyone is doing at SoScrappy.

Its going to be bitter cold, snowing, and windy.  I made a batch of Cheddar Chowder soup and a fresh loaf of sourdough bread--


This was made in the Oster bread machine--for some reason it doesn't brown as much on top as the Toastermaster machine, but the bread is almost perfect.  Someone asked for the recipe, and I don't have one.  The starter was made using instant potato flakes, water, sugar, and a dusting of yeast.  I take out a cup of starter (no, I didn't measure) and feed it a little potato flakes, bread flour, honey, and warm water and left it grow for about 8-12 hours.  Then I add a little sugar, bread flour, a scant tsp of yeast, a T. of butter, salt and warm water.  I usually reset the bread machine so it kneads an extra time.  The starter is also fed again and it goes back in the fridge.  This loaf is slightly tangy and makes the most wonderful toast.  

Christmas shopping is pretty much done.  We need to buy wrapping paper so that part can be finished.  I haven't done any baking yet, Ken and I don't NEED to be eating all that--so will do it right before Christmas to share.  

No travel is advised here due to blowing snow and bitter low temperatures.  I'm going to do lots of sewing!  

Are you done with your shopping?  Did you make Christmas goodies?  If you are where its nice and warm--PLEASE SEND ME PICTURES!!  Better yet--send me an airline ticket!

~LORI~

14 comments:

Chantal said...

You did more than a good job with the pieced border; you did an excellent job. Two quilts done; congrats! I don't know why but it suddenly smells like fresh oven baked bread in my house. (!!) ;^)

Katie Z. said...

Your quilts look fabulous. I really had to search for the seams, so they're perfect. Fresh bread sounds great; maybe I can manage biscuits today.

Cathy said...

Super quilts, and you did a great job with the border piecing. And that bread looks yummy, too! Settle in and enjoy your Christmas!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the brown border fabric.. very rich looking!
And wow did you do a fantastic job on that border piecing... can't even tell it was joined!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on getting those two tops together! Stay warm and sew, sew, SEW!!!

Sandi1100 said...

I love reading your Blog and seeing your quilts. You do beautiful work. I also enjoy hearing what you're fixing to eat. You are quite the baker!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, that bread looks amazing! We love sourdough at our house, but I've never baked any myself. I love the striped border on your R/W/ and B quilt! Great job piecing it! We are having below zero wind chills in Colorado today, too, and snow. We were supposed to travel to Nebraska to see our kids this weekend, but decided to stay put. I'm missing them, but not the bad roads!

gayle said...

I've enjoyed seeing your beautiful album blocks over the months of RSC. You've turned them into gorgeous tops! (And well done, you, on that near-invisible border piecing!)
Your bread is seriously making me want to dig out my bread machine...

Sara said...

Excellent border choices!

I ventured out this morning to buy some thread and some lace. The streets in Mitchell are all nicely cleaned out and the sun in shining. But I'm assuming that out in the country there is snow sifting across the roads with the stiff breeze.

I also made banana bread and did some sewing this morning. Now it's time to go back to the sewing room and finish up my last projects.

PaulaB quilts said...

Both borders are just right. Very clever use of the stripes with writing. Congrats on the finishes. My husband would have given anything for sourdough bread like yours. Personally I hate it. When we lived near San Francisco all the expensive restaurants had sourdough bread, when all I wanted was a nice soft roll, never got it. Enjoy your homemade goodies and finishing your list of things to do.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Bitterly cold here too.....got about 4" of snow, I heard.
My new Zojirushi bread machine came last week so I've been making bread. Made a loaf today, along with a pork loin roast and a sour cream blueberry pie. Cold weather makes me want to cook.
Christmas shopping is done, wrapping happens tomorrow, living room carpet is shampooed. Guess I'm ready for Christmas!!!
Hope to get a little sewing in tomorrow too.
Stay warm.

Elaine Adair said...

LOVE those album blocks! Good job (tedious) on that border. 8-)) We survived the minus 20 .. hope you are staying warm, no weather issues!!! Happy holidays, Happy New Year. 8-)) elaineadairpieces.blogspot.com

Mary-Kay said...

Love the blue and brown border fabric. Isn't that Metro goes Teal or something like that. I made 4 batches of magic Bars for a cookie exchange my son is in. Besides making cookies with my grandson and then eating them all, I'm not doing any more baking. As I think and say this, my mother-in-law pulls up with a friendship cake. Have to sample it, right? As for an airline ticket, somebody send me one too!

Kate said...

Congrats on getting both RSC projects to the finished flimsy stage. I really like the red border on the second quilt. Hopefully you've seen a bit of a warm up since the weekend. It was way too cold do to much of anything. No baking here yet, but My Guy is home, so I'm sure there will be some going on soon.