Wednesday--Working Away!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Someone asked me what kuchen was.  Well, the state dessert of South Dakota is Kuchen!  It's a German dessert, somewhat like a coffee cake with custard.  You have a sweet roll dough that fits into a pie pan, then a thin layer of fruit filling, then a custard made of cream, eggs, and sugar.  Top that with cinnamon and nutmeg and bake it.  And a piece of the cherry looks like this--



I've been trying to be motivated, but the last two days I've taken a nap.  I did get in some sewing, the red and white bricks and stepping stones blocks are all together--
 
I will leave these hang for a while and see if I spot anything I would need to move.  I haven't any border fabric picked out either.  Right now the top is about 54x70".  

And--drum roll here--I cut up some of my Japanese royalty fabric for Rosewillow's "cut it up" challenge.  Yes, I had heart palpitations!  I do LOVE that fabric!  I have the segments all made and ready to be sewn together.  In reading the directions, I will have to "plan" my sewing so my people are all sitting up straight. 


  
How is your week?

 

12 comments:

Katie Z. said...

Looking nice! I'll cut into mine eventually!

pdudgeon said...

Oh YUM! that kuchen looks great!!!

nice progress on both projects. i especially like that second pattern. very interesting take on the usual rail fence pattern

SpinningStar said...

Congrats on cutting into the fabric. That is going to be a great looking quilt!

Liz

Nancy said...

You have found the perfect pattern for your "people" fabric. I think it will be elegant.

Tamera said...

OH MY GOSH....Pretty, pretty, pretty. LOVE the Bricks and Stepping Stones!

tamerasvanes said...

Goodness, I skipped right over "the people"

Can't wait to see it put together!

Mary-Kay said...

Looking at that kuchen is making me hungry. Could you mail me some? The people are starting to look like something. The white really brings out the colour of them. I have my challenge all cut up and ready to start sewing. But first I have a few quilt labels to put on some quilts I sold and I have to make a baby quilt for Saturday.

JuJu said...

What? NO upside down people? LOLOL Just teasing, it's very special fabric. Expecting 4 inches of snow may be icy rain before that!! Is spring ever going to come?

ytsmom said...

The kuchen looks great! Could you post the recipe? Hold on to your hat; more snow on the way. Carmen

MightyMom said...

ooo it looks awesome cut up! aren't you glad you took the plunge??

now, I wanna try that there pie!!

debi said...

how wonderful the kuchen looks, plus the stepping stones quilt top - it is really lovely. The quilt you have picked for the challenge is one that I saw in America in 2008 when I was there and your picture has let me know it is achievable! It looks great - congrats on the good work, regards Debi

Tins and Treasures said...

Do you make your own kuchen? I have my mother-in-law's recipe, but have not had good luck myself... Someday, I plan to try it again.

Happy Weekend ~Natalie