Kuchen

Thursday, June 10, 2010
I like to cook.  I like to bake even better.  This is an old recipe that my friend Betty gave me.  Think like a dessert, a sweet dough with fruit and custard on it shaped like a pie.

Kuchen Dough

Peel and slice 1-2 small red potatoes.  Boil them until soft, using just enough water there is a bit left.  Set it aside to cool.  This will give your dough a soft texture.  You need about 1/2 c. mashed taters and a scant cup of scalded milk.

I use my bread machine.  Yes, modern appliances are wonderful!  Add the mashed potatoes and water and warm milk--not quite a cup.   This will depend on how much liquid you have left from cooking the potatoes. Then add 1/4 c. sugar.  Add 2 1/4 t. yeast.  (A pkg if you don't buy in bulk)  I let that sit and the yeast start to grow.  Then I add 3-3 1/2 c. bread flour, 2 T. crisco, 1 egg, and 1 t. salt.  Let the machine mix it, it should be a soft dough.  It may need a bit more flour as it mixes.  You may have to play with your dough a bit to learn what works.


BUT, before you make the dough--make the filling!  The dough will raise faster than your filling will cool. (ask me how I know!)


4 c. whipping cream (yes, whipping cream-you can use half n half, but it is not NEAR as good!)
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 T. flour


Mix the sugar, flour and eggs.  Add to whipping cream and cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a wire whisk.  Cook until it thickens, watch so it doesn't scorch.  Take it off heat and stir in a bit of vanilla.  Let this cool to room temp.  


Fruit filling--don't use too much fruit as your dough will get soggy.  A can of cherry pie filling--21. oz--will make about 3 kuchen.  I usually make 3 cherry and one prune!


Cut the dough into 4 pieces.  Roll this out into circle enough to cover the bottom and up the sides of a pie pan.  Just up to the rim of the pan.  Don't worry about if  the edges are perfect.    I let these raise up to 10 minutes if the dough needs to raise a little. Be careful--they will want to get away from you!  They shouldn't look like pie crust--more like slightly raised sweet rolls.  On the bottom spread your choice of filling.  Often I make cherry--I also use cut up prunes, or fruit of choice. Whatever you like.  On top of filling spread the custard.  Enough to fill pan like a not too full pie.  The filling will swell with baking and then go down when you cool it.  If you fill them too full they run over while baking.  Then sprinkle with cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg.  Bake 20-24 minutes in 350 degree oven.  I like to use glass pans--I can see if the bottom crust is lightly browned. A smaller pie pan works better than a large one--this recipe will make 5 small kuchen. When you take them out--brush the edges with butter so they remain soft.  


I know, it sounds like lots of work, but you can make the filling the day before and refrigerate, just set it out to warm to room temp before you need it.  If it is too cool or too hot, it will affect the yeast in your dough.  I can whip out 4 or 8 kuchen pretty quick. 























This is what it looks like when it's done, refrigerate or they freeze well.  Ken is VERY GOOD at finding them hidden in the freezer.  He often gets one out when we have company and defrosts it in the microwave. 

5 comments:

Katie Z. said...

That looks quite yummy. I think I may have to try it!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

That looks very tasty!! Guess now would be a good time for a road trip to your house......before Ken eats all the kuchen.

Henrietta said...

That brings back memories.

Voice heard from the depths of the basement "Do you want a kuchen", "No" is the reply.

Seconds later, not quite so deep in the basement "Do you want a kuchen", "No".

From the bottom of the basement stairs ""Do you want a kuchen", Lori looks down "No!"

There is Ken with a kuchen in his hands and a sheepish grin on his face, half way up the steps.

Tins and Treasures said...

Your kuchen looks delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe...I have my MIL's recipe. Have only tried it once and it was a disaster! Maybe I'll get brave again this fall.

I'm home for just overnight. I'm enjoying my wireless and the chance to catch up reading some of my favorite blogs!

Have a great weekend. Take care ~Natalie

MightyMom said...

you like to cook...I like to eat....may we soon have occasion to meet!