I Love Flowers

Saturday, July 10, 2010
A few pictures of what's blooming.  Here are the blossoms on the Yucca plant outside the Visitor Center.  I have Yucca, but mine are babies compared to this one.  Did you know it takes a certain species of moth to fertilize the flowers??


I have several clumps of these perennial sweet peas--they are as tall as I am, and the bushes are at least 3 foot across.  The flowers are from a very pale pink/lavender--to a dark purple and pink.



I have lots of these purple coneflowers.  They are also perennials, and quite hardy.



I have just a few annuals.  My runner beans are starting to bloom.  There are some morning glorys in there too.  I plant these in the corners of my deck, and they twist and twine along the railings.  




Even my garden has a few flowers.  I have a large row of old fashioned day lilies I moved from a flower bed in front of my house.   I just couldn't bring myself to throw them out.






It's very lush here from the rains.  The zucchini and summer squash have babies.  The pumpkins and cucumbers are blooming.  My tomatoes have small tomatoes, and the peppers are blooming.  Last year about this time we had hail.  The other night golf ball size hail and 100mph winds were within 25 miles of us.  I won't count my produce until it's picked!
 

8 comments:

Tins and Treasures said...

Good Morning, Lori,
That is one beautiful Yucca plant...well, they are all pretty. We've had enough rain here to keep everything lush!

Have a wonderful weekend. ~Natalie

pdudgeon said...

lovely flowers! we had rain here last night for the first time is a long time. hopefully we'll get moire today and tonight.

Penny said...

I love your flowers. I am so garden challenged. My neighbor took pity on me and planted 5 tomato plants in my backyard. LOL Now I will have pity tomatoes. I am glad you shared your flowers with us.

Henrietta said...

Are the daylilies fragrant?

Mary Johnson said...

I love flowers too. Ive been admiring my one pot of flowers on my deck that seems to have done better while I was gone two weeks than it was doing when I was home watering it.

Vicki W said...

You have a beautiful garden! I wish I was interested in gardening but I like my indoor "gardening" better.

Stephanie D said...

You know, I lived in NM for 20 years, where the yucca is the state flower, and I didn't know that about the moth.

I love flowers, too, and want even more of them in my yard. Next year I want more varieties of daylilies, and if coneflowers are perennials, I need some of those, too. Those sweet peas are pretty--are they fragrant? I need more fragrance in my garden.

But first, we need rain!

MightyMom said...

oh my goodness!

I ate yucca again Saturday night..pretty yummy! I hear there's a particular way to cook it...you have to "scare the yucca" ie blanch it in ice water...or it gets stringy.
you gonna harvest any and try it out?? ;-)

such pretty flowers! all mine except the day lillies (I think) are done and I didn't plant my petunias this year so no blooms through the summer. sigh.