Monday Goals??

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Well, maybe not goals!  This weekend was spent with our relatives from southern Missouri.  Sunday was spent at a local museum I had not realized was as big as it was.  Oh, they had a bit of everything!  Mostly items of local history.  Yes, sewing machines.  The curator caught me taking a shuttle out of one and explaining how it worked to my sister.  He asked if I could make it sew?  Oh--definitely!  He teased me that I should come and give demonstrations when they have "Schmecktfest".  There were whole buildings--a church, a "summer kitchen" (do you know what those were?) and a school.   House hold items, clothing, antique vehicles, the list would go on and on.  We realized that we recognized most the items, and have used them!   It was an afternoon of "see that, remember mom had one?"  

 Grandmother's Flower Garden


Wool rug

The lighting made for very dark pictures.  We were there for three hours.   It was the best afternoon.  

That evening we celebrated my aunt's birthday.  Yes, we sang!  



We chanted out the years, and my aunt jumped up when we got to her age!  My relatives left this morning and I miss them already. 

Tonight I have been pressing the strips I sewed at the camper.  I've been pressing for two hours.  Can you get a blister from pressing?  In between I have been reading blogs.  Maybe I will be caught up tomorrow.  

6 comments:

Howdy said...

Pressing seams? You should get a wall paper seam roller... you can do those seams as you go and not have to deal with any heat as well. I got mine with my curve master foot... and find I like it a lot.

Looks like you had a wonderful time!

Gill - That British Woman said...

what wonderful photos. Your aunt looks so happy in those photos. What sort of pie did you make for her?

Gill in Canada

Vicki W said...

Schmecktfest?

Sounds like you have been having a fun summer!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Is that museum in Parkston? My aunt and uncle used to live next to the one in Yankton and when we would visit my cousin & I would go over there to look at all the old stuff...totally unappreciative, of course, but it was cool in there. I see that museum has grown a lot since those days. Should make a point of going back sometime.

Pressing for two hours?!? That's excessive if you ask me. But it means you got a lot of sewing done while at the camper. What are you making?

Henrietta said...

Garnet looks great and so does the kuchen, its enormous!
Schmecktfest is sort of like a harvest home festival, lots of things to taste, see and do.

MightyMom said...

that's an odd GFG! never seen it in diamonds before!