Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, December 21, 2015
Nothing on my design wall but I did load a top on the Princess--


Spool blocks I made 3 or 4 years ago for the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge.  Its ready to go whenever I get the urge to quilt.  Please see everyone's design wall posts at Patchwork Times.

Part 4 of Alletaire is being worked on--


Headless flying geese!  Its no secret I don't like diagonal seams.  There are 480 in this clue alone!  Arrggghh!!  The neutral bits need to be sewn to the red bits yet and then this step will be done.  There was a bit of frog stitching--

Both seams angled the same way

Red fabric wrong side up
I like my bits pressed flat.  Once all the parts were pressed I laid them neatly underneath a cutting square--



 Next I weigh the square down with a couple of quilting books--


This insures the pieces will be nice and flat when I come back to sew them together.  I know I know--OCD!!

There was baking today--


Spritz cookies!  Two batches--one of green trees and one of red wreaths.  Ken helped me dip the Buckeyes, Ritz/Peanut butter crackers, and I made a batch of Haystacks (corn flakes, coconut, nuts coated with chocolate and heaped in little mounds).  The outside freezer is where I store my goodies.  I need to store them further away--they are too close!!!  

Liz on Stashbusters issued a challenge/quilt-a-long.  Its Simply Woven at Moda Bakeshop (free pattern)--


Isn't it a great looking quilt?  NO DIAGONAL SEAMS!!  And its very stash friendly--you can cut it all from fabric you already own.  I found a jelly roll in the closet that contains these fabrics-


Its called "Sweet" by Moda for Urban Chiks.  The pattern calls for two jelly rolls, I'm not sure if I'll dig deeper in my stash for fabrics or possibly buy some.  If you'd like to sew along you can join Stashbusters at Yahoo Groups or just sew one.  

Weekly Goals--

I'm still "eating the elephant".  Its a good goal at this busy time of year.   More blocks need to go on the design wall and Alletaire and Star Struck are keeping me busy.  A few more Christmas goodies to be made.  There has been no time to sit in the chair and hand sew binding. 

Are you thinking about goals for 2016?  New Projects?  UFO's to finish?  Any goals that aren't quilty??  

~LORI~
 
 

5 comments:

Nann said...

I am on the bandwagon for Simply Woven! I'm thinking about batiks. Hope your Christmas week is wonderful, Lori.

Sara said...

The fabrics make me think spring so maybe that is appropriate to sew during the winter when we are wishing for spring. :-)

Tired Teacher said...

I like to work with flat pieces when I'm sewing, but never thought of using books to keep them flat. I am not a fan of diagonal seams: mine never end up the correct size.

Vic in NH said...

Love the cookies, yum! I have all the fabrics pulled for Simply Woven but I'm still on clue 1 of Tuscany Mystery, LOL! Merry Christmas!

Tins and Treasures said...

Greetings, Lori,
I hope this finds you well and enjoying the holiday season. Are you in this midst of the most recent winter storm?

Take care, ~Natalie