Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, October 17, 2016
This project was on my design wall over the weekend--


Album blocks I made in 2014 & 2015.  The vertical rows are sewn together and I added a bit more of the brown all the way around.  It needs borders picked next.  There are 3 other tops waiting for borders, I tend to do them all at once.  Kat helped me with the math--she can figure how much fabric I need in a snap!  Thank you Kat!   Blocks set with a darker color it will be a better choice for a "boy" quilt than oceans of neutrals.  This top went together so easily I plan to make a couple more.  It will end up close to my target size of 75x90".  There are 48 album blocks left, if I set two more like this (using different colors) that will leave 26 blocks.  Recently on Stashbusters the question was asked if we ever make a pattern twice?  There will be seven quilts made with album blocks--so the answer is YES!  And I could very happily continue making album blocks--I love the pattern.  Please see everyone's design wall at Patchwork Times blog.

Have I told you I love to iron scraps?  My iron works hard!  I only buy a cheap non stick iron, never using the steam option.  Instead I buy a spray bottle at the Dollar store.  I've been using this one for quite a while--


Look how beat up the bottle portion is!  But the spray part works perfectly.  The water is cloudy because I add liquid StaFlo starch to the water.  If I bought an expensive iron it would be waste of money.  A cheap iron usually lasts a couple of years.  They have to be lightweight too, my shoulders/arms complain if they are too heavy.  

Weekly Goals--

Piece another album block top
Borders on one top
Finish last 3 blocks of Barn Dance
Pieces of Eight
Three Steps Forward

Not sure how much sewing I will get done.  Its too damp today to harvest but we're ready to roll.  Last week we packed up the camper, we've been slowly unpacking.  

My lonely campsite
When I left in May my sewing room was a disaster and I've been sorting piles of fabric, boxes and totes. Most the yardage has been folded and put back on shelves.  A new start this winter will be a brown quilt--there is enough brown fabric pulled for five quilts.  I love brown!

~LORI~

6 comments:

Sara said...

Moving your camper home at the end of the season is probably bitter sweet. The sunshine and breeze this afternoon is hopefully drying things enough to harvest tomorrow.

I have several patterns that I repeat over and over again with quilts. Yellow Brick Road and Quick Strippee are 2 kid quilt patterns I've made many times.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I think it was your camper I saw as we went past a couple of weekends ago on our way to the Gavins Point campground for our son's b-day celebration. At least there was a little red car sitting near a camper. We were running a little behind & the hubby was along or I would have stopped and said "Hi".

The Album blocks with the brown make a perfect "guy quilt."

Good luck for a trouble free harvest.

Kat Scribner said...

You waste no time getting stuff done! Great flimsy. I'm mulling over finishes for my RSC challenges this year, tossed around in EQ, nothing is quite working yet. Do you like the liquid stay flo starch? I was thinking about that recipe for homemade Best Press stuff, it really does eliminate the set in creases.

Elaine Adair said...

I agree with your opinion about irons and advantage of dry, inexpensive iron and a spray bottle!

One of these days, I'll get an Album block made - yours are great and hooray for getting yours together!

Happy continued quilting,
Elaine Adair

Vic in NH said...

Great looking quilt top, but that's never a surprise here. Your tops are always attractive. Yes, the dark background will be very masculine, nice design concept to use it! It looks black to me, is it really brown?

Katie Z. said...

I love the brown!

Now, once all your fabric is put away, I want a picture! I still have visions of the chaos while your husband was searching for fabric for you (pink cupcakes, maybe?). I like seeing others' sewing spaces.