Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, March 30, 2015
I worked on these blocks this weekend--



Disappearing Pinwheel by Missouri Star Quilt Co.  Its a group project with the Iowa Sweat Shop Ladies.  Missouri Star has Disappearing Pinwheel or Disappearing Hourglass with different versions of each one.  I am making two baby quilts, one with pink background and one with yellow using 30's fabrics.  Since these blocks have bias edges when working with them, using lots of starch before cutting will help keep your blocks from stretching.  There are many different brands of starch, I use--


My iron is "used and abused" (okay, I drop it or knock it off my ironing board a lot) so I buy a cheap iron.  I don't put water in my iron, eventually it leaks and makes a mess on my fabric/ironing board, instead I use a spray bottle from the $$$ store.  Please see everyone's design wall posts at Patchwork Times.

I had another fun purchase, somewhat quilt related.  At the QOV sew day the coordinator used this to haul her supplies--

I had to have one, its is being "tested" by the boys!  It hauls up to 150# and collapses easily and fits into a storage bag.  Remember when I said I hauled lots of "stuff" to take along for grandma duty?  Ken kept track how many trips he made loading the pickup.  20!   Yes, this might get lots of use.  

Weekly Goals--

Bind two quilts
Sew on 30's baby quilts
5" challenge

The weather is going to be much nicer this week.  I foresee playing outside with the boys, riding bike with Mason.  Laura Beth is looking forward to taking Maxwell out in the stroller.  There is RSV and Influenza going around like crazy so Maxwell doesn't go anywhere.  Last night I stayed home with him while the rest of the family went out to eat and shop.  That was such a hardship for grandma. :-)

Its Easter week and I hope to color eggs with the boys.  Maybe make "bird's nests"--I bought some speckled jelly beans.  

4 comments:

swooze said...

I'm not a starcher but I need to learn. Love the little cart. I've heard mixed reviews. Look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

Tired Teacher said...

I use a lot of Best Press - I love that stuff!

The cart looks interesting. I have a cart, but nothing that has sides. Hmmmm. . .

Sara said...

I love MQC videos and their "disappearing" blocks are so fun and easy to do. I used the D-pinwheel for a big floor pillow last spring for granddaughter Sophie. I did a wall hanging using the D-9 patch. Thinking I may have to do another and try the D-hourglass.

Enjoy that grandma time!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Great block!!!