Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, May 18, 2015
This week I've started a new project.  I've missed making QOV and have always wanted to make one in R/W/B but my stash doesn't contain enough fabric to make an entire quilt.  But my stash has plenty of blue fabrics and quite a bit of red, just not patriotic fabric.  And then I need to pick a pattern, hmmmmm.  


I will make album blocks!!   I am inspired by Nancy.  Yes, she's made 64 QOV!!!  Congratulations on meeting your goal Nancy!  Often we think we can't make a difference, but if I make ONE QOV and it brightens the day of ONE veteran--well, that's enough.  Nancy has touched 64 veterans.  Isn't that wonderful?  I think of this story-
The Starfish Story
 
“Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said,
"It made a difference for that one.”
Loren Eiseley

Please see everyone's design wall posts at Patchwork Times.

Weekly Goals--

5" Challenge
Load QOV to quilt for guild
R/W/B Album blocks

That's enough for this week.  Spring is very busy here.  The center of my 5" challenge is now in "countries".  Pat says she sews her blocks into states/regions/countries/continents etc instead of sewing by rows.  I'm trying her method.  Yesterday I sewed blocks into "twosies" and "foursies" and then "twelvsies".  Would that be regions now?  About 20 sections to sew together, then a border and another pieced section.  

The weather has turned cold with frost warnings for the next two nights.  Still dripping rain alternating with windy overcast skies.  Too wet for planting corn or mowing.  Too windy to work outside.  My dad would call them "rocks in your pockets" days.   The house was chilly but baking some blueberry pound cake warmed it up.


You can bake quick breads/cakes in wide mouth jars and seal them when they come out of the oven.  I doubt they last like pressure processed foods but I'm only looking for a few weeks.  You can freeze the jars if they don't seal and the contents stay nice and moist.  I use empty tin cans from pie filling, baked beans to bake in.  A perfect size for 1-2 people having coffee or gifting.  I tossed in a few fresh raspberries with the blueberries.  

~LORI~

5 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

The Album blocks will make a fabulous QOV.

Thanks for the shout-out for QOV: it is a project dear to my heart.

I've never tried baking in jars let alone sealing the baked goods in jars. It's something to remember.

Sara said...

The album blocks will make a great QOV. The baking in jars is something I've been seeing online lately but haven't tried yet. Those look yummy!

We gave up this morning and turned our heat on low in the house. My basement office is finally warming up now.

Bonnie said...

Nancy is an inspiration. Your album blocks will make a wonderful quilt for some veteran. Love the jar baking. I used to use cans for fruit cake but haven't tried it recently. Good idea.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Your pound cakes sure do look yummy. I've got blueberries in the freezer and sour cream in the fridge for a sour cream blueberry pie.

Sunday I got a wild hair and cut strips for a Jelly Roll Race QOV.....some patriotic, some not. Too bad I didn't get started earlier in the day, might have gotten the center done. I usually try to make 2-3 QOVs a year.

cityquilter grace said...

pretty block....thank you for supporting our vets!