Rainbow Scrappy Saturday GREEN and Motivation Check In

Saturday, May 16, 2015
I love green!  All I wanted to do this week was make GREEN RSC blocks!  It was a busy week and I made two more--



I'm not a "purist".  I include colors other than green--whatever looks good when I'm making them.  The stripes and dots in these blocks were fabric samples, a 5" charm, or leftover noodle strips and scraps from the scrap box.   Since this is a long term project I'm using assorted neutrals, most COC, WOC, Tans, whatever there is.  My backgrounds will always "match" and I never worry about having enough fabric for a project.  Please see everyone's posts at soscrappy.

Like a lot of quilters I have plenty of fabric.  Yesterday I was looking for my baggie of precut neutrals I use in this project.  I looked for an hour.  Ken helped look.  And then I had a revelation.  I HAVE MORE FABRIC!!  Yes, I wasted an hour of sewing time looking for a baggie containing maybe 10 small pieces of fabric!  I had bought more neutrals on Thursday because I knew I needed to cut more setting pieces.  Am I crazy--cut more pieces!!  And I did!  



Not much sewing this week.  A few RSC blocks and I have sewn on my 5" challenge project.  No quilting.  Its the busy time of year here and that's OK.  The lawn was mowed and weed'n'feed applied.  I worked on a new spot for a small garden.  The old garden is ready for tilling.  The weather can't decide whether to rain or be nice.  If you follow the news last Sunday tornadoes passed very close to us, five miles west.  The tornado sirens went off and we were prepared to head to the basement.  New technology is wonderful, we could check weather/radar on our phones and follow the storm.   I gathered the few things I thought were essential if my house blew away.  Put on shoes and jeans.  Cell phone, tablet, and laptop.  My meds.  Put on my wedding ring and other sentimental pieces.  My purse and my FEATHERWEIGHT.   I may rethink some of my precious sentimental antique quilts--they are stored and displayed on the main floor.  Maybe storing them on the bed in the spare room downstairs would be a better idea.  Has anyone else thought about this? 

~LORI~

13 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I love how your block looks. So many pretty greens.

scraphappy said...

Great blocks this week. Being able to use whatever fabric you find is the big benefit of scrappy quilting. Glad the tornado missed you.

Tired Teacher said...

I have a Go Bag, but need to update it. Thanks for the nudge.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Tornado season, so fun....NOT! Judging from pictures of tornado damage I've seen, if your house gets sucked of the foundation and blown away, whatever is in the basement gets sucked out and blown away too. But like you, I try to think of what I really need and try to get ready...proper clothes/shoes, computer, purse, flashlight/headlamp, important papers, etc. Of course most of it is used every day so can't just stay in the basement.

Sara said...

I also put on shoes and jeans, gathered my cell phone and iPad - and the cat - before heading to the basement last Sunday. And I noticed my husband had similar items in a pile on the kitchen table, ready to grab if he needed to join us.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I love your scrappy neutral backgrounds for your blocks. It's a smart practice and certainly eliminates the worry of running out of fabric.
So glad that you were saved from tornado damage! Scary that it was so close.

Lori said...

Love your blocks.
I'm not to familiar with tornados. But I do have our grab bags ready. I have the pet crates ready, have bags of food for them, water, water bowls, portable cat boxes, leashes. Everyone has updated information, on tags. Us humans, I have 2 back packs ready, extra shoes, outfits, meds, copies of important papers.
My company tells us to be prepared for two weeks, before help could actually get to us. I'm prepared at the house for 2 months of water and food. Never know when a earthquake could hit!

Katie Z. said...

Mm, tornadoes. I've come to the conclusion that everything will be gone, so why bother too much worrying? We have our shelter ready, and on nights like tonight, I have my bag by the stairs and shoes for everyone in the basement. We're flooded... I'm not sure we can get out of the neighborhood in the morning!

Cathy said...

Always a pleasure to see those Grannies.

Glad you are safe and sound! We've had a few close calls ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blicks. Love your fabric selections. And I am glad you were spared living thru a tornado!

Jennie in GA said...

Oops, I am not anonymous and I misspelled blocks. Grrrrrr

sunny said...

We rarely have tornado warnings in our area, but I'll be more prepared the next time! I'm usually in shorts and bare feet. Not too smart, huh? I love your blocks, and any excuse for more fabric sounds good to me.

Sheila said...

Love your blocks. I lose fabric often.
Oh my. Sounds like you often have close calls, tornado wise.