Double Slice Quilt is Finished

Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Last week I saw a quilt on Doni's blog.   What caught my eye was the homespuns.  If you've ever worked with homespuns you understand.  The plaids and stripes are wonky.  It ravels and stretches and generally just doesn't behave!   I had a small stash of homespuns---mostly given to me from my favorite BIL--they had been his mother's.   I starched those homespuns into submission and started cutting.  Ummm--let's just say they weren't eye catching blocks.   More like "butt ugly".   I sent Henrietta a picture of the blocks sew together.  First there was silence---long silence--and then she said they were "Fnugly".  And she laughed hysterically.  Next I asked Ken to look at them hanging on my design wall.  He stared intently for a minute, then turned and said "this is one of those trick questions, isn't it??!!"  Well, THAT was no help!.  Next I asked Elaine.   Elaine had several suggestions and I used them.  Her suggestions helped turn the ugly duckling into a swan. 

Elaine's Double Slice
Elaine suggested a slubby muslin inner border.  Then--a narrow green TOT border.   Last--a brown border.   She said "simple quilting".   I used a cream thread and an allover pantograph.   It turned out exactly like I was hoping---a masculine quilt--there is not one floral fabric--the backing is pieced with more TOT green from the border, and a pretty cream print with pine cones.  The binding was on my cardboard roll--a homespun stripe and a navaho print in earthy colors.   And the best part--it was all from stash!  I almost threw the blocks out, but Elaine saw past them to a finished quilt.   Elaine---its all due to you!!  I'm very tempted to keep this quilt--but its going to be a QOV--I'll send it to Alycia later. 

Have you ever had a quilt that "almost" threw out before it was finished---and then loved how it turned out??




7 comments:

bunbear said...

isn't that double slice a fun pattern? i made two lap quilts from it, one in pinks and one in brown and greens. actually, i have just made the tops, they aren't quilted yet, so i may put a border on them such as yours. it looks very nice. good job!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I'm really liking it! my bricks quilt is one I am starting to love but it is getting packed up for Alycia, too.

Elaine Adair said...

I just KNEW it would turn out so much better than imagined! Thank you for "saving" it from a UFO pile. You did a lovely job and that soft brown on the outside border softens up the harder plaids perfectly It's lovely!! I'll bet the "butt ugly" commenter won't say the same thing now! 8-))) I DO believe that many of our UFOs just need a bit of additional attention to get them to the "beautiful" stage. ANd, thanks for kind words! 8-)))

Nancy said...

It's an attractive quilt and will definitely appeal to the guy or gal who receives it.

Vicki W said...

I like it a lot! It looks like a quilt that will become someone's "blankie".

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

It really did turn out to be a wonderful quilt. I remember working with homespun years ago and your are so right that they are tough to work with. Great job!

Susan said...

I think it's wonderful! Of course, I love plaid homespuns. Passionately! I'm so jealous you can do all that in a week. I want a machine again!