Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, April 8, 2013
A new project on my wall--


Its a Scrappy Trip Around the World (Quiltville.com) but I'm using a planned color repeat I saw on The Polka Dot Chicken blog.  Thank you Carol!   I'm planning on making mine 6X8--one more row at the top and two at the bottom.  The color repeat is--

black
red (and pink)
blue (and purples)
orange
green
yellow

My blocks are a bit too dark--I'm adding more lights to the last 18 blocks.  I think they'll balance out.  See everyone's Design Walls at Patchwork Times.

While finding fabrics for this project, I refolded and sorted 5 fabric cubes.  I can really tell the difference in my stash--what were stuffed cubes now have plenty of breathing room.  

Weekly Goals--
  1. Quilt Henrietta's 30's top
  2. Borders on DeeDee's Star
  3. 2 crib sheets
  4. binding on one quilt
  5. 2 yoyo centers
  6. trace 2 cherry tree blocks

I'm waiting for Ken to finish taxes--right now he's spread out on the big table that I use for some of my sewing.  Another few days and that will be done.  

More pictures from Sertoma Butterfly House--which is not all butterflies!  Fish--all with steps along the tanks so kids could be eye to eye with the fish.

Sometimes I pose
 
Sometimes I'm shy

I may bring a friend

Or match the background
I might be famous!!

The fish were very popular with the kids.  I sat and laughed and watched everyone "find Nemo".  In all these pictures the plants/animals in the background ARE ALIVE!!  The silvery white background behind Nemo waved and wiggled.  I was fascinated!   I didn't get pictures of them--but there were small manta rays in a large tank--there were steps all around it and kids were encouraged to reach in and touch them.  (towels were furnished)  There were also small sharks in another section--yes--the kids could touch them too.  They were a non-biting shark and only about a foot long. 

My week is full, I'm not sure how much sewing I'll get done.  

Have you started a new project?  


14 comments:

Heather Pregger said...

Beautiful trip around the world, Lori!

Ruth said...

It's charming!

Cathy said...

I like your version of the Trips, rather than the more random ones. And the colours in those fish pictures are gorgeous!

Sara said...

The Trip Around the World quilt is looking great. Love the scrappy look even though you have planned the colors.

Big goals for this week. With bad weather moving in again you might end up with LOTS of sewing time.

Sue H said...

Oh, Lori, LOVE this quilt. I have tons of scraps and orphan FQs. I think I see one of these quilts in my future.

Nancy said...

I agree that your Trip Around the World is fabulous!

Horizontal snow here this morning. The storm is predicted to park here all day, night, and into tomorrow. Hopefully, it will leave some real moisture.

Helen said...

This is just gorgeous! WTG!

Rhonda said...

What a beautiful quilt. Love the scrappiness of it.

pdudgeon said...

i love your Trip quilt, Lori, it's looking fabulous!
and yes, i've started working on the clues to the Lazy Sunday Mystery quilt. i got the new Quiltmaker issue today, so i've got two sets (half of the mystery) to work on this week. Then I'll pack it away until June when the 3rd issue in the series is on the stands. And by next week i'll be started on my pink and chocolate Trip quilt. After seeing yours i can hardly wait!

Kate said...

Beautiful Trip quilt! The controlled scrappiness works so well.

Needles, Fabric, Chisels, and Wood…Life is GOOD! said...

The Sertoma House is on my list for May. Might be my request on my b-day! Love the quilt ESPECIALLY because it is scrappy. Thanks for always sharing!

carol fun said...

Oh Lori this is looking good! I sent mine off to the long arm quilter and can't wait to get it back. Happy stitching!

Rhonda R. said...

Great quilt! I really like the controlled scrappy version. I may have to move this up on my "to do" list.

Bente Antonsen said...

It is just great!