Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, December 9, 2013
I'm planning a new quilt--


Its named Mt Hood and its in the original Nickel Quilts book by Pat Speth and Charlene Thode.  I've made several quilts from the Nickel Quilts books and enjoyed them all.  Pat Speth was the luncheon speaker at the Sioux Falls Quilt Guild in November and I was able to attend.  I learned so much more about using "nickels"--Thank you Pat!!   Several years ago I belonged to an online group that swapped nickels--I'd saved my civil war repros, thimbleberries, neutrals, browns, and threw in some homespuns.  More than enough to make this quilt.  And I have a whole big box of civil war fabrics I can use too.  Please see everyone's design walls at Patchwork Times.

Since last week I've quilted one top and loaded another.  Its cold outside and good weather to sit in the recliner sewing down binding.  I was tugging and tugging on a quilt and it was SO HEAVY and then I figured out why--


Ruby can't resist laying on a quilt I'm binding.  Don't worry, I don't think she has any dog cooties, and I'll wash the quilt when I'm done.  

Weekly Goals--
  1. Bind another quilt
  2. Quilt another top
  3. Make brown binding
I've set a goal to finish 5 quilts before Christmas.  2 are almost done now.  That means I have to quilt about one every 5 days?  And bind one side every night.  They're not Christmas presents, I just want to finish them so I can start 5 quilts after Christmas!  Its a steep goal but we'll see how I do.  

Last week I received an email from Nann saying I'd won a drawing on her blog.  The package arrived looking very festive.  No, I didn't wait until Christmas to open it!

4 FQs of beautiful blue snowflake fabric and a book with a quilt block name in the title.  I love to read and I'm planning to put these FQs in my new year quilts.   And Nann is the inspiration for one of my planned 5 quilts.  Click on her name to see the quilt. The pattern is in an Evelyn Sloppy book called 40 Fabulous Quick-Cut Quilts.



I ordered one used from Amazon.  Maybe I need a stash report for books??!! I will change the pattern a bit, isn't that what quilters do--change things??? Thank you Nann for the prize and the inspiration.

The tree is up and lights are hung.  The Christmas quilt is on the bed.



Several years ago I hand pieced hexies from Christmas fabrics.  I worked on other quilts while doing this one, Ken is always watching my projects and it took 18 months to piece.  (He thinks I am crazy)  How many pieces, last time I counted there were over 2,700 hexies.   He cringed the first time I put it on the bed--"what if something happens to it?"  All he could think about is the hours that went into making it.  Its one of my "bucket list" quilts, I'm glad I made it. 

Its almost the end of the year, time to think of next year's plans.  Have you done that?  Don't forget that bucket list, there's no time like now to start a quilt!  



15 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

Have you been following Pat Speth's blog? She has been doing a new series of blocks called Deli Geese. I've been printing them as they are published and will start after the holidays.
I have the Evelyn Sloppy book and need to get it out and look at the pretties in it again. I love books.
Good luck with your list. Love you lap warmer.

Needles, Fabric, Chisels, and Wood…Life is GOOD! said...

My goals for quilting are fairly straight forward. I AM GOING TO QUILT!!!!

My daughter's guild is having a show in November, and I am supposed to have one specific quilt made - we are using several of the same basic fabrics but then we are supposed to use the rest from our stashes.

Dad has lots of embroidered sets of squares finished and is very ready for me to turn ALL of them into quilts.

I have more ideas for my own quilts than I have years left to produce, so I am going to make a list and see what happens.

Moneik said...

I have my list of UFO's of mine and my mom's left. I should be able to do 1 a month or so of each and finish them up. I also have a list of new "big" quilts I want to work on. Hoping my plans work out. I've finished up most of my UFO's, so I am ready for the new challenges.

Norece said...

I have to agree with Ken about your stunning Hexie quilt, no eating in bed with this on it.

I love my 40 fab quilt book, so many great quilts to choose from.

Your Mt Hood quilt looks like a great one to use up all those squares you have been saving.

Keep warm.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

No No = No stash report for books lol - I love your Quilt Holder.... He looks so comfy ;-)

Nancy said...

Mt Hood looks intriguing, and I love the fabrics you plan to use. I'm pretty sure I have the book, so I'll look for the pattern.

carol fun said...

Love the Christmas quilt on the bed - I just got mine on yesterday. That Mt. Hood pattern is cool I love working with "nickels" - gotta go dig out my book. Hope you have a productive week!

Katie Z. said...

Snowflake fabrics are the best! I'm looking forward to seeing your plans for them.

Your Christmas Hexi quilt is super lovely. I think I must love most of your quilts!

Nann said...

So glad to be an enabler. Er, an inspirer.

Tamera said...

Wow! That hexie quilt is AMAZING!

Judy D in WA said...

I forgot to tell you how much I love your Grandmother's Flower Garden. It is gorgeous!

Vicky said...

Love that quilt on your bed! What size are those hexies!

Pokey said...

Ah, so much to see and love here, Lori! I appreciate your honey's care for that wonderful Christmas hexagon, but it's great that you will enjoy it, and not put it away for someone else on down the line.
As far as goals, I sure need to complete some of these UFO's...!
:-}pokey

pdudgeon said...

Oh Lori, so glad that you've resurfaced in blogland. I can see what has been keeping you so busy of late. Had to laugh at Ruby, the quilt tester, as my cat also loves to play with the binding clips and cuddle under the quilt "tent" while i am binding.
Love to hear of your mad rush into production just before Christmas--you'll win a quilter's gold medal for sure, putting in all that time sewing and finishing the quilts. Go girl, go!
That Christmas GFG quilt is really beautiful and a noteworthy achievement! BRAVO!

Teri said...

Can't wait to see your Mt. Hood quilt. I requested the book from the library.