Motivation Friday

Friday, December 13, 2013
Let's see how my goals did!
  1. Bind another quilt--YES
  2. Quilt another top--NO, waiting for supplies that came today
  3. Make brown binding--NO
 What have I been doing?  Well, I finished binding this

Scrappy Strips 76 x 90"
Next I finished binding this--

36 Patch made for 2012 Rainbow Scrappy Challenge  72 x 82'


I'll estimate 13 yds for the Strips and 12 yards for the 36 patches.  The 36 patches were a fun quilt-a-long, I just used whatever I found in my stash that was the right color.  My scrap box stays fairly empty, when it starts getting full I whack it up into sizes I use.  With two quilts DONE DONE this week Stash will take a hit.  I haven't bought any fabric.  

One goal was another top quilted.  I've been waiting for supplies for the Princess, they arrived today.  Whew!!  So in the meantime I STARTED TWO NEW QUILTS!~  I've been doing my best to not start a new quilt until an old one is finished.  No fabric bought for these, they are using my stash.  My newly found box of nickels for Mt. Hood, and my Civil War box for Trail Mix.  

Trail Mix by Mabeth Oxenreider  83.5 x 101.5"
See those little pieces in the trail?  They finish to 1"!  I've been on the fence  about making this quilt.  I studied the images on the internet.  Then I ordered the book (used) and studied some more.  Last night I thought maybe a few test blocks will tell me if I like it.

They are tedious but not hard to make.  There are 5 separate blocks in this quilt.  This project is a GO!  This will be done with other quilters on the Yahoo Group Stashbusters.  Informally---mostly just for encouragement and fun.  And mine can be made all from that civil war box I'm trying to dent!

A few more Christmas decorating pictures--


A log cabin quilt made from Christmas fabric, more muted colors than the Grandmother's Flower Garden.  Made from the box of fabric I had--its a large queen.  Yes, its 8 foot long and its nailed to the wall with big t-pins!  And then I draped some star lights on it.  A Singer Red Eye is in the cabinet, yes she sews but right now she's being used as a printer stand.  Sewing machines are so versatile!!

In the spare bedroom I have this quilt---


Christmas Coins.  Large queen.  After making three quilts from that fabric I shut the box and put it away.  Not much variety in there anymore.  

I have another quilt on the wall--my tree quilt--



My angel pins and other well loved items are on this quilt.  If you look you might see something YOU sent me!  

And because I love Christmas decorations here is a picture of our tree--


We always have white lights over and around our big picture window.  Just so much cheerier during the year.  And lights down our short hallway--these are almost pastel colored--

I shop for lights at this time of year.  We will go through a couple sets and you can't buy lights in June!!  Inside the house we use lights with white wires, they are a bit harder to find.  They're very easy to hang, use Command hooks, there are some just for this.  No holes in your wall, you can't see them (we use the clear).  

Maybe I can get some quilting done yet tonight.  Tomorrow is Asher's B-day party so I need to make a salad and some deviled eggs to take along.  

I'm glad we don't do presents at Christmas, a few for the grands and that's about it.  White elephant for fun.  Mostly just family, food, and fun.

How do you celebrate?

11 comments:

Nancy said...

Lights year round - fabulous!

Command hooks and clips - why do I always forget about them?

Cinder Gal said...

I really like your 36 patch quilt. I'm thinking of doing it for next years scrap challenge.

Vicki W said...

Wow, you've been busy! I really like the new quilt you started.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your 36 patch quilt... great finishes!

Unknown said...

love your scrappy quilts.
your neighbor to the south..yankton

Katie Z. said...

Trail Mix looks like fun.

I see the angel pin I gave you!

Miss Spunky would love for me to leave lights up year round!

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilts! I use scraps and fabrics from my stash for the rainbow challenge. My stash is pretty scrappy, as most pieces in my stash are smaller than fat quarters. I'm trying to use what I have to make scrappy quilt tops and pieces scrappy backings as I'm on a fabric diet.
Wonderful idea to use little lights year around!

karylsquilts said...

hihi, Love the lights !. we use the icecycle lights on the RV.
mostly is nice to see the large image of the trail mix.. Its starting to grab me. loll. Ill have to DO some cutting after the holiday sewing done.. Ive only have 3 THREE! quilts to do in the next several days, insanity ! lolll and then host 25 or so Jan 4 for the family thing,, I better get back to work. Luv your blog ! hohoho

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I love the simplicity of the 36 patch - these old-fashioned patterns always tug at my heart strings! Nice to mix things up (a quilt with tiny pieces compared to a quilt with larger pieces) as it looks like your new quilt will take a bit longer! Very nice use of your stash with all the quilts! We have our tree and plan to decorate it today - 'tis the season! And my son loves window clings! Cheers! Evelyn

scraphappy said...

So many fun projects going on. Glad you jumped into the new quilt. It looks like a beautiful project. Enjoyed the light show. So festive!

Faye said...

Wow, you've been so busy! Beautiful quilts, and I love all the Christmas lights! Well done!