Monday Goals and Etouffee

Monday, February 2, 2009
Monday goal time again. Last week's goals suffered with all my distractions, but I still did lots of sewing. This week will be---

1. Bind Jane's Star
2. Load another quilt
3. Finish Jacob's Ladder blocks for swap
4. Put last round on and trim Christmas Courthouse Steps
5. Add borders to D9P
6. Work on a UFO
7. Work on blue baby blankets

Now, I don't intend on doing all these. But maybe I can LIMIT myself to these projects!

At the last minute for sign up, I joined a swap of Blue/White Jacob's ladder blocks. I love this block, and think a quilt made in blue/white will be lovely. I could just MAKE the whole quilt myself, but somehow that just isn't as fun! I only need to make 12 blocks, last night I made 6.

I sewed on the Courthouse Steps, I have the last round to do. Soon they can be made into a top. I had to cut 7 more light strips at the end, and I almost didn't have enough. There are plenty of darks, but not lights. It is destined to be a using type quilt, so I'm not worrying about it~!

And that Judy, she is a BAD influence. While looking for Cajun Recipes, I came across this one at Cooks.com. And made it. And talked my relatives into being the guinea pigs! I think it was a bit too greasy and would cut back on the butter, and I didn't use the red bell pepper. I used some green bell pepper I had in the freezer. And I added some boneless cubed pork (after all, it's the other white meat Sarah!) with the chicken thighs. No fresh parsley either. But it was very good, and I will make it again. Oh, I finished mine in the crock pot.

CHICKEN ETOUFFEE (A-2-FAY)

1 stick unsalted butter
2 med. onions, chopped
1/4 c. thinly sliced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 sm. red bell pepper, diced
8 chicken thighs, skinned
1 1/2 tsp. cajun seasoning mix
3 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 tsp. Tabasco
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 c. chicken stock, broth or water
1 c. chopped green onions
1/2 c. fresh parsley, minced
Cook, long grain white rice
Heat large heavy skillet over medium heat until hot. Melt butter until it smokes. Saute onions, celery and red bell pepper for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, season the thighs with cajun season mix. Add them to skillet after vegetables have sauteed for 5 minutes. Brown thighs, cooking 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside for later use. Add flour to skillet and stir well. Cook about 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Blend in tomato paste, Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Add chicken stock and cooked chicken. Cover and cook for 12 minutes. Remove cover and add green onion and parsley and cook uncovered 3 more minutes. Serve over hot rice.




This is my favorite brother in law Paul, he often will test drive my food for me!

And if this wasn't enough, I also found a recipe for beignets, and we had them too. No pictures, we were too busy eating them!

And my sister and I sat and talked, drank coffee, and ate those pesky beignets. Now I am stuffed, I don't think I will sew tonight anymore. Even Ruby ate a beignet. I made then using brioche dough from my Artisan Bread cookbook, and still have some dough left in the fridge. Ahh, think, I could do this every day or two! No, better not!

9 comments:

Stephanie D said...

Mmm, the dish looks as good as it reads. Paul certainly looks as if he's enjoying it!

I can feel myself weakening...I might just have to buy that bread book....

MightyMom said...

I'm thinking that if it was greasy you needed more flour in your roux. I've never measured the amount of flour...you need enough to soak up all the grease...and I've never timed it either..that was weird to see. My recipes just say "add flour to grease in pan to make a roux." haha. I learned as "keep stirring over low heat till it scalds, but doesn't burn." and we call it eh-too-FAY. ;-) course, I don't use that OTHER white meat either!!

Of course the important thing is that it didn't go to waste!!

thanks for the recipe, I may try it and see how it holds up to our secret family recipe for crawfish etoufee' ..... ;-)

but I want you to teach me to make potato dumpling soup!!

Tins and Treasures said...

The recipe looks like something my hubby would like too. Good luck with your sewing goals for the week...you are one ambitious girl!!
Have a great Tuesday, Natalie

Becky said...

Hi. I'll certainly try that recipe. Food, quilting, AND SD. My daughter is marrying a guy from Sioux Falls and I visited there last year. I'll probably be back again in September. I'm a haphazard quilter, and I love your web site. It gives me hope!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Sounds like you're keeping pretty busy. I haven't responded to Judy's Cajun food challenge. Don't think it would go over well with my husband. If he even thinks food has some spice in it he's sure it will kill him :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay! Your beautiful blog has done a few things for me today....made me hungry for homemade bread and good cookin', made me want to quilt more (or again for the first time in a LONG time), relax and chill out more often, and enjoy the love of family.

THANk YOU!!

Thanks for visiting me blog, Lori.
:-)

JuJu said...

Hey Girl ... how about NE Sew-In May 2, Fremont, NE

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Can I borrow Paul? My family is just too chicken to try my new *prison* foods! LOL

Unknown said...

The etouffee looks great. I just made my first jayambala. Keep warm