Sunday Stash Report

Sunday, February 15, 2009
I'm started to sound like a broke record, 0 in, 0 out, stuck at the +8 yards for the year. But I'm getting closer to finishes.

And thanks to Judy, I won the "Slap ya Mama" gift basket. I am really excited to be able to try this seasoning, it's not available in any stores here. And prompted by Judy's challenge, I made Gumbo, Etouffee, Jambalaya, and Beignets. And all the recipes were keepers. I'm a messy cook, so the apron is REALLY appreciated! Thanks Judy!!

Remember I said I was working on a pink/white UFO? A few years ago a friend moved and brought over a box of fabric, it wasn't going with her. I had been inspired by Henrietta who made this beautiful pink/white quilt. This is her's--

It's quilted with twirling hearts that intermingle and go from very small to larger ones, it almost looks like trapunto when you see it. Well, I wanted one too. So in the box was some pink and cream fabric. Very old. I washed it up (in case it really shrunk or bled) and then cut it into enough blocks for this. And it sat for a few years. Last week I found it again and worked on it. I was hurrying so I could take a picture for today's blog post.

Notice anything?? The funniest part is Henrietta did the exact same thing when she made hers. I am playing with just leaving it, after all, it IS funny!

17 comments:

Sue H said...

Oh, I would definitely leave it! It's part of its charm.

Peggy said...

Lori,
In past years I would have taken that block out and turned it. Today I think I would just leave it as a reminder to look closer next time. The thing I am also considering is the pink you used reminds me of an era of quilts when I noticed many mistakes.

I can not tell you how many times I have found mistakes by taking a picture of a quilt. Now I try to take the picture before the blocks are all sewn together.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Broken record or not! a 'zero in' week is definitely a keeper!

I like your pink and white quilt...I'd leave the block turned. I know that I have found turned blocks after after a top is sewn together and have left it in :)

Suzanne said...

I agree with Sue H...leave it...someone in the future will look at it & always wonder why...a little mystery is great! It's a beautiful quilt!

pdudgeon said...

ahmarching to the beat of a different drummer, lol yep, i'd leave it in too. it looks wonderful!

Mary-Kay said...

I think it looks kind of cool the way it is. I didn't notice it at first until I read the blog. I probably wouldn't have noticed and thought that it was supposed to be that way.

Henrietta said...

The truly funny thing, it is the exact same block I had reversed! FIX IT! It will drive me crazy if not you.

Mine was an exact copy of a vintage one I saw in a magazine.

SueR said...

Hi Lori, there just isn't a thing wrong with zero in, zero out, when it comes to the stash! At least you're not buying! Congratulations on your win too, certainly sounds like you're putting it to good use. The pink and white quilts are lovely. I didn't notice the turne block right away either, but that one could be your humility block!

Lori said...

I'd leave it too, Jacob must have been spinning his ladder once to many times.

Susan said...

Such a hard call on leaving it or not. I love the charm of leaving it, but it might drive me crazy still in 5 years if I didn't. Great job not buying!

Katie Z. said...

I love it! After all my ripping-out the past few days and hating the frayed seams, I'd say, leave it!

Sarah said...

I think for me ripping it out would depend on what the final usage will be - if it is for a child to love, leave it. If it is going to be for decoration as much as use, I might turn it. Either way, I really like that pattern - is it one you purchased or did you figure it out yourself from Henrietta's photo?

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

Congrats on winning Judy's giveaway! I like the top the way it is....it has its own personality. Cute!

Becky said...

Congratulations on winning the Cajun seasoning! Let us know what you think of it.

Leave the block. I had to search row by row to figure out what you were referring to.

Good looking quilt!

Stephanie D said...

Leave it, don't leave it--whatever makes you happy!

Congrats on the cajun win! lol

MightyMom said...

why the hell would you go to that much trouble??

looks great!
quilt and be done!

Passionate Quilter said...

I vote for leaving it too! But listen to your gut--YOU know deep down if you should turn it or does your heart *smile* when you see it? Sometimes I 'know' I should change something but just don't feel like it. That's when I change it. Otherwise, have a little fun with it. I am beginning to really love the little surprises in quilts, rather than all the perfect ones.