Saturday Musing

Saturday, April 18, 2009
Amy at Park City Gal invited bloggers to an online quilt show. This is the quilt I picked--Tia's Wonky Stars. Tia is married to a serviceman from the US and is stationed in Australia where there were bushfires with loss of homes and lives. She invited us to send her quilt blocks to be made into quilts for these victims. (See the link on the side of her blog.) I had just received a box of fabric from my favorite BIL Paul. He had been cleaning his mother's house (she now lives in a nursing home) and came across lots of fabric. His mother can't tell us what the fabric was originally for, or what she was making. (I suspect a 9 patch quilt as there are some of those already made and/or cut out.) I emptied the box, washed the larger pieces and wondered what I would make. Then came Tia's invite. Each star in this quilt is made out of some of that fabric I was gifted. I had the background and the border and backing fabric, so it didn't take me long to put it together. It's a full size bed quilt, and I hope it will warm someone's body and heart in Australia.

On Tia's Clothesline in Australia---much more light there!

On my spare bed. This has been my favorite quilt for the last few months, I think of it heading off "down under" to warm someone else. Sometimes your favorite quilts are the ones you give away!

18 comments:

Tacha said...

Great quilt for a great cause. And I totally agree. Usually the best quilts are the ones you give away. I usually pour so much more energy into them.

Mary L. said...

Wonderful quilt and cause!

Zonnah said...

That turned out so pretty!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I like you wonky stars even more now than when you first made it! I was thinking of suggesting wonky stars to my quilt group as our QOV pattern...no matching required! :)

Maggie said...

I've been admiring the wonky stars quilters for been making for the bushfire relief efforts. This one is very special. Thank you for sharing.

Stephanie D said...

I absolutely agree! One of my other favorites was the second lap quilt I ever made--and it was for a 9/11 family.

Becky said...

Your quilt is one special quilt. How neat that you used fabric from Paul's mother and now it is comforting someone on the other side of the world. Super!

dutchcomfort said...

Gorgeous quilt made for a good cause! Love the wonky starblocks!

Jocelyn said...

Love your quilt. The borders set it off perfectly. Thanks for sharing your part in the Australian quilt story.

Karen said...

Good for you. A wonderful quilt.

Vicki said...

It looks great. I like those star blocks.

Aunt Spicy said...

Oh, I love the story behind this quilt, makes it all the more special! I sent a few squares off to Tia as well, I had so much fun making them I have a few more projects I am planning!

stitchinpenny said...

The gift to you became a gift to someone in need. That shows that love should be shared. Your quilt is wonderful and beautiful.

Willow Lake Stitches said...

Beautiful quilt and what a wonderful purpose for it. Love the scrappy stars.

Thanks for sharing,

Beth

Miri said...

Beautiful quilt-love the way the stars just twinkle on the white! and a wonderful cause.

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilt and for a great cause! Thanks for sharing :)

Tina said...

Lori the star quilt is lovely. I am sure it will be greatly loved.

Emma said...

Great quilt! And as the weather is starting to cool here, it will be more than welcome for someone in Victoria. I made one for the project, too.