Motivation Friday

Friday, March 20, 2009

Time to check on my goals. I did finish the last four Bear in the Farmhouse blocks.

I have decided that using Henrietta's method was a good time to get out of my box, and try something I hadn't done. Yup, I was right, it's not the method for me!! But I am committed to finishing this quilt in her method. Fly by the seat of the pants, and its hard for preplanned OCD me! I didn't get the pink/cream Jacob's ladder ready to quilt yet, nor prepare the binding for the Christmas courthouse steps. What on earth, you may ask, has she been doing??!!

While my company was here we stopped at DeVonne's saddle shop to see if my saddle was repaired. And of course we saw many things. Lots of drooling. And Devonnne asked if we would like to go over to her son Doug's shop. Oh yes!! And we received a wonderful tour and saw many things to drool over. The real name of the business is "Hansen Wheel and Wagon Shop". They rebuild or reproduce antique horsedrawn vehicles. When you see the Wells Fargo Bank stagecoachs--think of them, they probably built them. Cook's wagons. Doctor Buggies. Sleighs. Freight Wagons. Sheepherder Wagons. Stagecoachs. These were finished ones we saw. And then we went into the warehouse, which houses things yet to be redone. Oh, the wonderful treasures we saw. The sleigh from New York with runners taller than I am, with the enclosed interior for passengers with beautiful handles on the doors, originally upholstered in crushed green velvet. A Milk Delivery Wagon. The painting area, with a buggy painted in bright blue and black with gold pinstripes and initials. And of course I was busy checking out the old sewing machines still being used to create these beauties. Click on the link to the "Trail Ride". About 300 people went from Ft. Pierre to Deadwood. Doug had redone the original "mud coach" that was used in that portion of the stagecoach line 100 years ago, and they drove it! If you look at the calender that's the stagecoach and the team that Doug drove. It took about three weeks.

This weekend I am planning to go to the South Dakota Horse Fair, but maybe not tomorrow. I have a "crick" in my back and am waiting for it to feel better. But the horse fair last for three days, and I think I counted that Stacy Westfall was giving seven seminars!

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love your blocks!

BarbCarol said...

A horsewoman AND a quilter?!! You are a woman after my own heart. My horsefriend of 15 years, Joe D., had to be put down a year ago. How I miss him and how I miss riding. I have consoled myself by geting back into quilting again. It quiets the need to ride like the wind on my old friend.
Your Bears in the Farmhouse is really progressing. I am a slowpoke -- only doing a 3-square wall hanging and am not quite finished with the first border. Too much farm work!
Have a great day!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your 'Bears in the Farmhouse' blocks are looking good! Have fun at the Horse Fair...hope your back feels better soon!

Kathie said...

Lori very nice, love the look.

kathie

Brenda said...

that was a fun post to read!! You don't always think of how they traveled 'way back when' but it sure is fun to be reminded. I could just 'see' what you were talking about, and it made me want to go and see them all too!! I think it would have been fun to do the trip in the wagon - 3 weeks, when now, we could have been there in a few hours and probably home again the same day...... We have no clue what it was like before cars......

Good for you stepping out of your box! Bright out here isn't it??? ;-)

Have a great weekend!

Nancy said...

I like the Bear in the Farmhouse blocks. Are you going to frame the blocks or assemble them as pictured?

pdudgeon said...

your blocks are looking great!!!

love the story about the old wagons, stage coaches, and sleighs.
it's always fun to go and see old things. thanks for taking us along for the ride!

Unknown said...

Your Bears in the farm house are looking great. I'm having trouble keeping up with the group too. Really have to push to get done on time. It's a fun quilt I may have to make another one someday.

Lizzy also in South Dakota

MightyMom said...

so what's with her method that doesn't work for ya?

I need to get back to blogging! starting tomorrow haha.

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful quilt, love the fabrics.