Motivation Friday

Friday, December 5, 2008

Good Morning!!  Having my coffee now, trying to wake up.  Most my Christmas decorations are up, I LOVE Christmas decorations!  I have a fiber optic tree--not like most you see, mine has long soft needles that are actually fiber optic strands, the whole tree shimmers and changes color. My goals were small this week, I knew I was going to be busy.  But I did load another quilt and get it quilted, and I have bound two of the three quilts on my list, and the 3rd one is halfway done too.  


We've been so rushed around here because Ken had surgery yesterday and we were trying to get everything done we could.  He was working to make sure I would have it as easy as possible caring for the horses, getting the Christmas decorations up etc.  I have stocked up on food, and the house is "somewhat" clean!  The surgery was nothing serious, a hernia repair, but he will still be down and sore for quite a while.  This afternoon I will pick him up and bring him home, I think he will be glad to see his own bed.  I KNOW Ruby will be glad to see him!   But I took two of the quilts with me, and got them bound while sitting with him yesterday.  

While I was there (now this is a small town hospital where you know everyone) I was talking to one of the nurses I know and she asked to see what I was working on.  I was binding a QOV, and knew it would touch her.  You see, her son and my daughter are the same age, same class,  and he was killed in Iraq.  She knew what QOV are, and she didn't know I made them.  I talked to her about Alycia's project and the pillowcase party.  Jeremiah was on his 2nd tour in Iraq, he said to "send him, as he wasn't married and didn't have a family like a lot of the soldiers did".  Yes Jeremiah, I think of you often, and remember you as a little kid in school with my daughter drinking grape koolaid.  Thank you.  
 

9 comments:

Paula said...

We've lost so many good young men and women....thanks for giving QOV quilts.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Hope *all* is quiet and peaceful at your house after picking up Ken! That was smart of you to take along handwork to do on the bindings while waiting. :)

JuJu said...

Lori, my heart goes out to your friend and the loss of her son. Thanks for going what you do! I hope you shared your memories of him with her ... I hope Ken is home and you both are keeping warm and cozy!

MightyMom said...

does your friend know about Kaziah?

http://www.heropaintings.com/kzindex.aspx

more info here

http://texassiren.blogspot.com/2008/07/hero.html

you don't know how many wives I've spent time with admiring their sewing in the hospital chair. :-)

Tins and Treasures said...

You make beautiful quilts...
I hope your hubby is doing OK.

CarterQuilter said...

Hi Lori,

It was nice to see you on my new blog. I love your grandmother's GMFG quilt.. you are so luck to have such a treasure.

Cindy Carter

Stephanie D said...

Poor Ken! Hope he's feeling better and up and around soon.

It's hard enough to hear about the loss of our young men and women, but harder when you have memories of them as children.

Henrietta said...

That is so sad.

Julia said...

Hope Ken is feeling much better. Randy had that type of surgery a couple of years ago. My problem with him, was keeping him down and resting afterward.

My thanks to Jeremiah and his family. I so appreciate the sacrifice of those willing to keep us safe. I shudder to think where we would be without them. May God Bless them!