A New Treasure

Thursday, March 29, 2012
Yesterday Henrietta and I attended an auction.   Everything from tractors to fencing to Christmas decorations. A 1936 Chevrolet car.   But there were some unadvertised treasures.   Quilts.  There must have been a dozen.  Like most auctions---items were lined up in rows.  Lots of jumping back and forth.  The quilts were in the LAST row!   I had my eye on this beauty--and I came home with it!


A 7 Sisters quilt.  My FAVORITE pattern--and one I have never made.  

You can see where the green has faded to tan---

green faded to tan around the pink diamonds
The pinks are no longer the same--they were probably the same pink when they were made--but not anymore.

two different pinks
She's definitely had lots of use--but it only makes her "more loved" to me.  At 74" x 78" she's good sized for her time.  Her age??  I'll guess the 40's.  



 
 

12 comments:

Nancy said...

Great purchase! Any idea who made the quilt?

Sara said...

You are correct about it being a treasure. Beautiful even with faded sections. Part of the charm.

Needles, Fabric, Chisels, and Wood…Life is GOOD! said...

Love how you talk bout her!

Vicki W said...

What a great find!

Jay in Nebraska said...

Love, Love, Love it! Its on my list of quilts to make someday, though I hope I live to be 100 to make it.

Susan said...

Beautiful quilt! In storage I have one partly hand quilted by me that was put together by my sister's grandmother's sister. If that makes sense! She pieced it when she was 91 and I was quilting it for my sister when my sister died. I hope to get it back one of these days and finish the quilting.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

You definitely found a treasure!! Those old quilts are just so special.

mereth said...

What a great quilt, I don't think I could have left it there either

Pokey said...

What a great quilt, I'm glad it came home with you! It is so cool to see the grace it has grown into, with its color fades and well loved spots~
:-}pokey

pdudgeon said...

i've never seen one with the green surrounds and the large pink diamonds. that's quite a find!

Henrietta said...

The quilts were made by the great grandmother and grandmother of the woman who was selling them. We hope to get names and more detail, then Lori will hand stitch on a label.

Personally I can't imagine giving up such a family treasure, even if I were going into a nursing home (which that lady is not), imagine, she sold her own baby quilts, but her loss is Lori's gain. Lori has wanted a Seven Sisters for a long long time.

Stephanie D said...

Wow, you really scored! Love the pattern. What are you going to do with it?