Sunday Stash Report

Sunday, January 3, 2010
The start of a New Year--will it be better than last year?? I think so!! I am starting out the year in the red, but that isn't going to last long! I bought 5.5 yards while I was in Minnesota. And I haven't finished anything--yet!! So right now I'm -5.5 yards.

We spent last week in Minnesota with our daughter and family. Ahh--yes, grandparent moments!! Grandpa did lots of babysitting, he's quite good at it!! Yes, Ken thinks he has read every book to Mason at least twice this week.

Since we've been home I've been catching up with laundry and putting things away. I think we caught a bit of a bug while we were gone, probably just from being tired. I spent most of today in bed. I found Ken asleep in the recliner. But I did some mindless sewing and sorting last night. I saw a new-to-me way to make flying geese at "Life's a Quilt" blog so I made 150 of them. Not sure what project they'll end up in, but I like the way "CrazyMomQuilts" used hers. I'm going to miss her blog! And I'm still whacking away at scraps. Henrietta has promised to help me use some of them, so I'm going to hold her to it. I think she better make plans for that noodle basket, it's full!

150 flying geese, bricks, and 2.5" noodles

I know it looks fairly small in the picture, but that basket of noodles is HEAVY! And overflowing.

I'm sure most of you have read about the 1 million pillowcases project with All People Quilt--if not please read about it on the Heartstrings Quilt Project page. I plan to make a few before the month is out. Mary has a great tutorial. I wish you all a great week!






19 comments:

Judith said...

I also started in the red, but I am sure we will both be in the green before the year ends.

Dianne B. said...

Ah, well, everyone knows that a person just *cannot* travel without bringing home some fabric! ;-) You will use it quickly enough -- you're always very busy! Can't wait to see what you're going to do with those flying geese! Have a great week, and hope you feel better soon.

Tamera said...

I think you should count those 150 geese! he he he

Can't WAIT to see how you use them. :-)

Vicky said...

Didn't you know? Vacation fabric doesn't count!! :) You'll have that plus a ton more busted in short order!! Great job on the flying geese!

pdudgeon said...

it looks like you've made good progress sewing this week! Stay warm and bundled up.

Kathie said...

Will be interesting to see what you do with all those blocks.

Kathie L.

Katie Z. said...

What's the fun of quilting if you don't buy fabric?

Peggy said...

I love that method for making flying geese. I have used it for at least 15 years. A friend taught it to me on the way home from a retreat. She did a few drawings and I had to remember it until I could get to my fabric.

No problem starting out in the red...I know you will be in the black soon.

Suzanne said...

I think it's great you only bought what you did...there's something about traveling that makes me what to fabric shop. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

I haven't bought any yet, but the year is still young. Did purchase severla years between Christmas and New Years

Nancy said...

It is only the 3rd day of the month, so don't be too hard on yourself. ;o)

Hope you get over that "bug" quickly.

Quiltsmiles said...

Lori,
You are not alone, I also started with a gain in stash but it was a sale on some fabrics that I just know I'll need. I know you'll be using it up in no time too! Happy New Year. Love the look of your blog. Am curious how you did the date line with the art work. Really NICE!
Jane

Sharie - Moss Bluff said...

Thanks for checking out my blog. And thanks for posting about the flying geese ruler. It sounds like a great way and easy way to make them. I copied down the info. I just know that we will all be in the black at the end of the year (stash). Sharie-Moss Bluff

Kathy said...

I too started the year out in the red. It's ok as we'll be ok by years end. Thanks for the links about the pillowcases and the flying geese ruler. I have that ruler and it has not made sense to me...now it does!

Henrietta said...

I see my blue tailed chicken backing from the Tessellated Court House steps in that basket!

Mary Johnson said...

I bought already too but I've finished 8 pillowcases and by the time I finish the other 13 I have cut out I'll feel better!

MightyMom said...

humm, can't say I've ever heard someone say "wanted to try a new way to make something......so I made 150 of them.

goodness!!

well I'd guess by now you should know if you like making them that way or not huh??

and you've ALREADY bought fabric??!!! it's only the 4th for goodness sakes! (was it another coupon?)

MightyMom said...

I must say, that is a cool way to make geese.

Stephanie D said...

I don't think I've seen that method for making flying geese before--looks cool! You could always use them around a square as star points.

I just ordered a bunch of fabric myself. Good thing I'm not keeping count! I'd be farther behind than you.