Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

Monday, June 11, 2012
I'm drawn to old quilts.  This one was made by my Great Aunt Katie.  From the fabrics Henrietta and I think the quilt was made in the 40's--maybe early 50's.  I never knew Aunt Katie, she exists for me in family stories and this quilt.


This quilt has been well-loved.  I remember sleeping under it as a child.  A Seminole strippy with a small floral print on a yellow background, and a solid fabric on the back I'd call "Muskmelon".   A plain green square runs down each strip.   Reproducing this quilt is on my bucket list.

Weekly goals--
  1. Sew more Birds in Air blocks together
  2. Sew more rows of the Trip Around the World 
  3. Load a top on the Princess
My list is optimistic, I'm not sure with volunteering and summer I'll get much sewing done. 

6 comments:

Nancy said...

It is wonderful that we can remember our ancestors through their crafts. Your great aunt's quilt is lovely.

Sara said...

What a treasure! and the fact that you have a memory associated with it makes it so much more special. It is a beautiful quilt. That design would be fun to recreate with modern fabrics too.

Henrietta said...

Hidden, off to the right, Henrietta holding the line up with a long handled hoe.

Paula, the quilter said...

What a wonderful old quilt and it's story. What size is it?

AnnieO said...

Wonderful well loved quilt. I like the green patches marching down the strips very much. Lovely old thing!

Stephanie D said...

Love the colors and color placement in this!