Monday Goals

Monday, January 28, 2013
Time for Weekly Goals!
  1. finish quilting pink horror
  2. finish hand sewing binding on red/white quilt
  3. machine sew binding on another top
  4. load a top to quilt
  5. start applique block
  6. yoyo block


No sewing over the weekend.   A late Christmas party, a hair appointment, and an outing to the Visitor Center.  This weekend was Bald Eagle Days.  A raptor education program was given by The Raptor Center from University of Minnesota.  They brought in several birds---


American Kestrel
Red Tailed Hawk





















Bald Eagle


Great Horned Owl




















Lots of kids with lots of good questions.  The birds were very well behaved--which meant the kids were able to see them up close.  The kids especially laughed when the handler fed the birds.  What did they eat?  Mouse bits!  Yes--not for the queasy--but everyone chuckled when the hawk ate the bit of mouse that had the tail--like eating spaghetti!  YUM!!   Winter is a good time to see bald eagles near the Visitor Center--we saw one along the road near my summer mailbox sitting in the tree.  They fish in the open water below the power plant.

It was good to see the Rangers--I got a hug from Jeff--

Jeff and I
Thanks Jeff!!  Once in a while I get to volunteer with Jeff--its always fun and I learn lots.  

I've had very short hair for +35 years.  Last fall I decided to grow it out and not color it.  Normally my hair is very curly--but my beautician used a flat iron on it.  My white/gray hair is not evenly distributed.  I have a huge white spot on the right side of my head near the front.


 

About 4 inches of my true color is showing. (gray and white!)  I'm not sure how long I'll let it grow.   But I'll be glad when its all one color.  I think.

Another cold spell is coming.  We picked up groceries so I am hoping for lots of sewing time.  Did you sew over the weekend?  


6 comments:

Sara said...

I like the hair style. You are brave - changing color and length at the same time. Mine has been snow white since I was about 45 but I just can't make myself quit coloring it. I'm not quite brave enough yet.

Nancy said...

I quit coloring my hair about 40 years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. Once you get past the stage of allowing the true color to emerge, you will love it. Hang in there!

Great photos of the birds.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

The last time I colored my hair was last spring sometime. It's all grown out now so I have my natural gray. I don't miss coloring it and I sure don't need all that chemical soaking into my scalp every few weeks. I'm loony enough! :)

pdudgeon said...

i agree, i haven't colored my hair in over 10 years (yikes!)and it's gradually gotten more lt.grey and white in it. When i was in my teens my hair was so dark brown it was almost black, but with the years that color has also lightened up to a med. brown.
i usually let my hair grow during the Winter months, and then I take scissors in hand and whack it off to earlobe length by June so it's cooler. i think i stopped being stylish years before i stopped coloring and perming, because i just didn't have the time to fuss with my hair and manage 3 kids at the same time. in those old pics i always looked a bit harried, frazzled, and haphazard, or else like i had a witch for a hair stylist. LOL

Needles, Fabric, Chisels, and Wood…Life is GOOD! said...

I went white in my late 20s (not just a little,either), but when the bishop commented about it being so nice that my son came home from the Navy for Christmas, I broke out the bottle.

Stopped coloring it 18 months ago. I let it grow longer and do its thing for about 12 months. I had been a pretty curly headed kid, and all that curl came back with avengence. I wash it daily and let it dry naturally. It is very white and so soft. Love it. Hope you will, too!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the bird photos.